Before his death, John Lingenfelter built an engine for a ’69 Camaro that exceeded 220 miles an hour. That is brutally fast. To put that into some perspective, an Agusta A109E police helicopter tops out at 193 mph. The Kawasaki ZX14R (1400CC) superbike’s top speed is 213 mph when unrestricted. The Lamborghini Diablo GT’s top speed is 214 mph. To say that the man liked speed is an understated remark. Lingenfelter Performance Engineering (LPE) has become an industry leader, and set a somewhat high bar for the standard for creating the most lethal, precision tuned, beastly machines on the road. LPE has once again outdone themselves and brought our beloved Camaro’s a Lingenfelter package that sets the bar absurdly high.
Do you like speed, power and the reliability of a 3-year 36,000 mile warranty? How do you feel about 800 horses and 800 lb/ft of torque? With Garrett ball bearing turbochargers- that’s right- two of them, and enough custom goodies from Lingenfelter, this package is enough to make even the grumpiest of old men click their heels with joy and grin from ear to ear. The Lingenfelter package consists of a complete teardown and removal of your stock LS3 (or L99) and replacing it with a LS7.
A raw meat eating, Mustang devouring, snarling warrior of an ass-kicking LS7.
The LS7 that ousts your (once thought to be pretty boss in itself) original engine consists of the following:
- Chevrolet LS7 7.0 L aluminum block
- Chevrolet LS7 aluminum heads
- Callies 4340 forged steel crankshaft – 4.000″ stroke
- Lingenfelter CNC porting of LS7 cylinder heads
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job, cc, surfacing & assembly
- High temperature Inconel exhaust valves
- Competition Cams dual valve springs, titanium spring retainers, 10 degree locks
- JE Forged aluminum pistons and tool steel pins
- Manley 4340 forged steel “I” beam connecting rods
- Computer balanced crankshaft & rotating assembly
- File fit rings, heavy duty rod & main bearings, head gaskets, head bolts
- Professional assembly and blueprinting of engine
- Properly sized fuel injectors and high capacity fuel system
Basically in a nut shell, this thing is built to the hills, and ready to romp on the most unsuspecting of combatants (and this isn’t even half of it). One of the most beautiful things about the LPE package, is the exterior of the car can remain as original as you want to keep it. Meaning you could leave everything exactly the same on the outside as the day it was born. Personally I’m a big fan of the “sleeper;” all go and no show. So when that kitted up Mustang rolls up next to you with a single chambered exhaust and a cam at the strip thinking he’s the bee’s knees- you can tear his world up from the inside out. And on top of that, as if the above build wasn’t enough to make you pee your pants a little bit- remember Lingenfelter loves speed. Big power and big speed don’t come from naturally aspirated cars. As much as I hate to admit it- it’s true. The real cohunes behind this monster build are the twin Garrett turbochargers that when all things are said and done, put your right foot in its most ecstatic state and your back into the seat. Hard.
These ball bearing pups come hand in hand with the glory of no expense spared, and no shortcuts taken to provide you with the most reliable setup and the best warranty you’re going to get on ANY heavily modified Chevrolet anywhere. A 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty is embedded with your new engine when it rolls out of the bay doors in Decatur, Indiana. I know what you’re thinking, “WAIT! So you’re saying I can have my cake and eat it TOO?!” The answer my friend, is yes.
- Twin Garrett oil lubricated & liquid cooled true ball bearing turbochargers
- Lingenfelter turbo compressor housings & exhaust housings with integral waste gates
- Lingenfelter super high efficiency air to air charge coolers
- Lingenfelter 304 Stainless steel 4 into 1 custom exhaust manifolds & turbo outlets
- Lingenfelter belt driven turbocharger scavenge pump & turbo oil drain reservoir
- Lingenfelter custom molded silicone air ducts
- Two S&B 360 degree conical air filters
- Stainless steel / ceramic heat shields & stainless clamps
- Port matched LS7 intake manifold
The two beauties that so mercilessly force air into that engine are so meticulously tuned to each motor, that once the car has been assembled it receives a custom tune and upon pickup of the vehicle you are presented with the complete dyno sheet and tune history, along with the Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity. Another trademark of LPE monster builds is that the original drivability is not sacrificed, and on the Camaro- the highway MPG is not affected whatsoever. And of course, after your 800 stamping horses are under your right foot, mile one of your thirty-six thousand mile warranty begins. I know I keep harping on the warranty, but when you start playing with forced induction, and extreme horsepower, there is A LOT that can go wrong. A simple air/fuel miscalculation at a certain engine speed could spell disaster and put you out hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Peace of mind on a professional installation is worth its weight in gold. Especially considering how new this generation of Camaro is- it’s not like you could go pick up another shell for 800 bucks at the local yard. This is a $45,000 investment, so protect it!
Here are the finishing touches in the package:
- 160 Degree thermostat
- Ported & polished LS3 throttle body
- Professional engine installation, testing & tuning
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity
The whole package rings in at just under $65,000 from start to finish. But honestly, if you’re going to be pushing that kind of power, and looking for the best route to go- look no further. The history and lineage that is Lingenfelter is simply unsurpassed. Look up some videos of the Lingenfelter ‘Vettes. They were (and still are) a real force to be reckoned with, and now the Camaro can join that elusive club of insane power, and unsurpassed reliability. The LPE Camaro not only meets the stringent demands that John Lingenfelter would have laid down, but surpass even the wildest dreams of what a warranty equipped, 800 HP monster muscle car could ever be expected to do. And do it with air-conditioning, and a radio with factory leather.
Good on ya Lingenfelter!